Jan Zrzavý (1890–1977) was a Czech painter, graphic artist, illustrator and set designer, an important figure of the avant-garde in 1920s.
He studied painting privately with Karel Reisner, Vladimír Županský and František Ženíšek and in 1907–1909 with Professor Dítě at the Academy of Arts, Architecture and Design in Prague. In the 1920s and 1930s, he traveled to Italy, Belgium, England and France. The first stage of his work is a characteristic combination of Czech Art Nouveau symbolism and expressionism with elements of cubism. He was a member of SVU Mánes (1912–1917), SURSUM (since 1910) and Tvrdošíjní (since 1917). After the First World War, his work resulted in a typical lyrical and dreamily soft shape. In the second stage of his work, he focused mainly on landscape painting. In 1923 he joined the Umělecká beseda and participated in their member exhibitions. In 1924 he rented a separate studio in Paris. From the mid 1930s, he abandoned pastel poetic color in favor of a richer color. During the Second World War, fatefulness and balladness appeared in his landscapes, in addition to the motive of death and hope.
He dedicated his artistic legacy in 1975 to the National Gallery in Prague.